NBC News’ highest-paid star’s future is in doubt as fallout persists from her comments widely seen as ignorant, even racist. (Fox News)
Multiple news organizations have reported that the future of “Megyn Kelly Today” is in doubt. Kelly — who reportedly makes $23 million per year — found herself in hot water with colleagues and NBC executives after making a comment about blackface Halloween costumes on Tuesday.
“Given the circumstances, Megyn Kelly Today will be on tape the rest of the week,” an NBC News spokesperson told Fox News.
Kelly’s comments were reported on both “NBC Nightly News” and “Today,” leading to much speculation that NBC News executives hoped to put a spotlight on the controversial rhetoric as a way to separate with the veteran journalist. NBC colleagues quickly became her biggest critics when Craig Melvin called her comments “racist and ignorant” and Al Roker said she “owes a bigger apology to folks of color around the country.”
Kelly offered a heartfelt apology to open her show on Wednesday and received a standing ovation from the in-studio audience. But NBC News chairman Andy Lack condemned Kelly’s comments during a previously scheduled town hall event for his news division staff on Wednesday.
Kelly has reportedly hired a top Hollywood lawyer, leading many to speculate she is prepping for a legal battle with NBC brass.